Version 1 Edinburgh
Data Science Capability Lead
Department: Digital Development & Architecture
Version 1 is having an incredibly successful 2021 and off the back of a successful 2020. Growth through successful delivery, combined with an excellent set of core values that enable internal collaboration and make business straightforward are reasons to join Version 1. We have been incredibly successful in winning Public Sector business while expanding our existing Private Sector clients.
We are looking for a passionate, dynamic, hardworking Data Science expert, using innovative approaches and best practice to drive business outcomes for our clients and solve complex business problems. This role requires exceptional interpersonal skills as you engage with technical and business stakeholders equally - executives through to operational roles - to help understand and define business problems, design solutions and roadmaps, and drive projects from inception (or impasse!) to successful implementation and/or live service.
You will be confident in leading a team of talented data scientists to offer expertise in this field with an ability to think on your feet and learn quickly to identifying solutions to problems. You must be comfortable with pre-sales conversations and be able to inspire your team. Preferably experienced enough to help nurture and grow our data science practice area to continue our exciting growth.
What will you be doing?
- Help manage data science engagements across several clients working with other capability leads, technology principals, delivery leads, practice leads and our sales team.
- Participate in pre-sales discussions providing technical leadership for engagements where data science expertise is required.
- Contribute towards go to market offerings, solutions and accelerators.
- Able to author statements of work and drive delivery excellence for new sales opportunities.
- Act as technical escalation point for data science consultants and customers.
- Apply technical competence and experience to develop and review internal documentation, quality standards and working practices including repeatable artefacts.
- Challenge customer or project requirements to ensure we are delivering business outcomes to our clients.
- Work with our data science consultants to ensure high-quality scalable architectural patterns and data science approaches.
- A people manager for your direct reports.
What skills and experience do you need:
- Experience aligning client business strategy, KPI, and AI use cases.
- A thought leader in the data visualisation domain
- Demonstrable experience architecting machine learning general frameworks and taking solutions to production at scale.
- Ability to lead the end-to-end architecture and development of a data science solution, from discovering underlying business problems to resolve to presenting results in a clear and accurate way.
- Experience designing and documenting the entire data science journey.
- Experience providing technical leadership to a team of highly-skilled consultants.
- Ability to apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of projects.
- Some experience designing and implementing solid DevOps principles for data science projects.
- Experience with research methodologies and ethical AI to identify solutions including the fundamental principles to adoption.
- Experience in Data Acquisition, Data Ingestion, Data Storage, Data Processing and Real Time Processing.
Experience implementing and deploying Machine Learning solutions (using various models, such as Linear/Logistic Regression, Support Vector Machines, (Deep) Neural Networks, Hidden Markov Models, Conditional Random Fields, Topic Modelling, Game Theory, Mechanism Design, etc.)
- Extensive background in statistical analysis and modelling (distributions, hypothesis testing, probability theory, etc.)
- Experience applying research methodologies to identify the Machine Learning models for the problem at hand.
- Familiar with agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of at least one enterprise cloud, preferably Azure or AWS.
What technical skills will do you have:
- Machine/deep learning frameworks Spark, TensorFlow, MLflow (preferable via Databricks).
- Languages Python, R, SQL, NoSQL.
- Libraries spark MLlib, scikit-learn, PyTorch etc.
- Azure or AWS ML/AI services in general
- Document architectural solutions and processes.
- Microsoft or AWS Certifications desirable but not essential
Before you apply, here are some of our benefits. We offer profit share, pension, private medical, flexible working policy and more. We offer incentives for accreditations and educational assistance for courses relevant to your role.
We offer employee recognition in the form of Excellence Awards and V1Ps which is awarded by your peers. Engagement is incredibly important with local engagement teams driving our engagement events!
Business Development Manager
Wired to Deliver
Every decision we make is governed by six core values. They are simply stated, non-negotiable and ever present.
Honesty and Integrity
Consistently Rated a Top Workplace By Our People
Strong core values, a culture of trust and empowerment, and a vision for success position Version 1 as a top employer across the UK, Ireland and India. If you are seeking a fair workplace in which recognition is based on merits, and career pathways are based on skills, then we could be a fit for you.Learn about our Culture
Award-Winning Employee Focus
- GREAT PLACE TO WORK
- GREAT PLACE TO WORK
- HEALTHY PLACE TO WORK
- GREAT PLACE TO WORK
IN TECH, 2019 & 2020
- BEST WORKPLACES FOR WOMEN
AWARD, 2019 & 2020
News & Insights
Blog: June 28, 2021
As part of our 2021 Diversity in Business Strategy, Pride, throughout the month of June, was identified as a key Version 1 celebration. We have made strong progress in recent years in developing Version...
News: June 24, 2021
Version 1, a leading technology and digital transformation provider, has accelerated its growth and added to its global customer base with the acquisition of Northern Ireland based digital services specialist,...