Version 1 Remote, United Kingdom
Senior SQL DBA
Department: Cloud & Infrastructure
Version 1 is celebrating 25 years in the IT industry this year and we continue to be trusted by global brands to deliver IT solutions that drive customer success.
Version 1 is not just a Microsoft Gold Partner, an AWS Premier Consulting Partner and an Oracle Platform Partner; we are also an award-winning employer and our employees are at the heart of Version 1.
We invest in a strong culture of wellness through programs that help our employees create their journey toward optimal wellbeing. This framework is based on the ‘Strength in Balance ‘theme and this seen again in our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging Team motto “Bring Your Difference”.
With increasingly vast seas of digital information, smart organisations can today do things that were up to now impossible; spot unseen business trends, prevent diseases, make our roads safer and so on. At Version 1 our Mission is to prove IT can make a real difference. We prove this every day and due to our continued expansion, we’re searching for like-minded individuals to help us ‘take it to the next level’.
This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior SQL DBA to join our Digital and Cloud Platform Practice. A permanent position, you will play a critical role in driving our thriving Cloud Platform Practice forward. Version 1 have had continued success working with our customers to deliver value, innovation, and excellence.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record as a specialist SQL DBA with experience in all designing and deploying Highly Available solutions for Enterprise customers. You will have experience of migrating SQL Database workloads. You will also have experience in assessment and migration of applications that deliver services using SQL databases.
Ideally coming from a consulting background, you will be an excellent communicator, with ability to clearly create and communicate technical designs, issues, and resolutions to both technical and non-technical audiences. You will have good commercial awareness and be able to articulate the commercial impacts of technical challenges and opportunities. You will be able to effectively collaborate with others, obtain buy-in for your delivery approaches and manage your own priorities and performance to deliver high quality, highly performant solutions to our customers.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Technical leadership for migrating SQL workloads.
- Development and ownership of migration processes, documentation, and tooling
- Senior SQL DBA consulting, including solution design, documentation, and technical management
- SQL Server administration, implementing best practices and resolving complex performance issues
You will have:
- Experience in migrating SQL Database workloads.
- Minimum of 8 years as an SQL Server DBA
- Solid understanding SQL Server internals and best practices
- A good understanding of other SQL and database related technology e.g. Middleware, Analysis Service, and Integration Services etc.
It is essential that you have strong, in-depth and demonstrable hands-on experience with the following technologies:
- Expertise in SQL Database design, deployment and administration
- In-depth understanding of SQL Server platforms
- Experience in Application and Database workload assessment and assessment tooling
- Excellent customer facing communication and presentation skills
- Excellent technical writing capability for big text such as bids, and low-level design
It is highly desirable that you have good knowledge and understanding of the following platforms and their deployment:
- Experience of Enterprise level datacentre migrations to Public Cloud
- Possession of SQL certifications.
- Certification in Azure
- Any experience of working in highly dynamic teams using agile methodologies under demanding timescales.
- Experience of collaborating and knowledge transfer to mixed customer and supplier teams whilst delivering to agreed timelines would be highly beneficial.
… and you’ll be able to provide evidence and examples of where you have demonstrated these skills in the past. If so, we’d love to speak with you.
Before you apply to our Senior AWS SQL DBA need here are some of the benefits. We offer profit share, pension, private medical, flexible working policy and more. We offer incentives for accreditations and educational assistance for course relevant to your role.
We offer employee recognition in the form of Excellence Awards and V1Ps which is awarded by your peers. Engagement is incredibly important with local engagement teams driving our engagement events, remote party events and Christmas parties that are now online!
Version 1 is now Digital First meaning remote delivery is always the first option and post-COVID travel will be involved in the role.
Wired to Deliver
Every decision we make is governed by six core values. They are simply stated, non-negotiable and ever present.
Honesty and Integrity
Consistently Rated a Top Workplace By Our People
Strong core values, a culture of trust and empowerment, and a vision for success position Version 1 as a top employer across the UK, Ireland and India. If you are seeking a fair workplace in which recognition is based on merits, and career pathways are based on skills, then we could be a fit for you.Learn about our Culture
Award-Winning Employee Focus
- GREAT PLACE TO WORK
- GREAT PLACE TO WORK
- HEALTHY PLACE TO WORK
- GREAT PLACE TO WORK
IN TECH, 2019 & 2020
- BEST WORKPLACES FOR WOMEN
AWARD, 2019 & 2020
News & Insights
Blog: November 18, 2021
1. Can you give us some background about yourself and your qualifications, and what led you to the career path you’re on now? I have a degree in Economics and a master’s degree in International...
News: November 10, 2021
We have marked a new milestone in our Version 1 history with the introduction of our 2000 team member! We have welcomed Fergal O’Shea, Senior Java Developer, who is based in our Belfast office. Version...
News: October 19, 2021
This is an exciting certification for Version 1 as it is our first time participating in Great Place to Work® India. The Great Place to Work® Certification is one of the most prestigious achievements...