Version 1 Remote, United Kingdom
Databricks and Scala Engineer geospatial
Department: Digital Development & Architecture
"Version 1 has celebrated over 25 years in the IT industry and we continue to be trusted by global brands to deliver IT solutions that drive customer success. Version 1 is a Microsoft Gold Partner, an AWS Premier Consulting Partner and an Oracle Platform Partner; we are also an award-winning employer and our employees are at the heart of Version 1.
Version 1 as a consultancy and a service provider, we are a digital-first environment and we do things differently. We are focused on our core values, and using these we have seen significant growth in our UK Digital, Data and Cloud Practice in the 4 years since inception. Our UK Digital, Data and Cloud business is now preparing for the next phase of expansion, opening new opportunities for highly skilled technologists and leaders to join one of the fastest-growing consultancies in the UK.
A few of our awards are the AWS Migration Partner of the Year - EMEA at AWS Re: Invent 2022, Best Workplace™ for Women UK 2022 By Great Place to Work® and Top 10 in Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Awards 2023."
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced developer of large-scale data solutions. You will join a team delivering a transformative cloud hosted data platform for a key Version 1 customer.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record as a senior/self-starting data engineer in implementing data ingestion and transformation pipelines for large scale organisations. We are seeking someone with deep technical skills in a variety of technologies, specifically SPARK performance\tuning\optimisation and Databricks, to play an important role in developing and delivering early proofs of concept and production implementation.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Designing and implementing highly performant data ingestion & transformation pipelines from multiple sources using Databricks and Spark/Scala
- Streaming and Batch processes in Databricks
- Providing technical guidance for complex geospatial problems and spark dataframes
- Developing scalable and re-usable frameworks for ingestion and transformation of large data sets
- Data quality system and process design and implementation.
- Integrating the end to end data pipeline to take data from source systems to target data repositories ensuring the quality and consistency of data is maintained at all times
- Working with other members of the project team to support delivery of additional project components (Reporting tools, API interfaces, Search)
- Evaluating the performance and applicability of multiple tools against customer requirements
- Working within an Agile delivery / DevOps methodology to deliver proof of concept and production implementation in iterative sprints.
- SPARK performance\tuning\optimisation
- Direct experience of building data piplines using Azure Data Factory and Databricks Spark using Scala
- Fluent in Scala, Python, Java
- Experience working with structured and unstructured data including imaging & geospatial data.
- Experience of working with relational databases: (SQL Server, PostgreSQL)
"At Version 1, we believe in providing our employees with a comprehensive benefits package that prioritizes their well-being, professional growth, and financial stability.
One of our standout advantages is the ability to work remote or with a hybrid schedule along with business travel, allowing our employees to strike a balance between work and life. We also offer a range of tech-related benefits, including an innovative Tech Scheme, Octopus Car Lease, and MyGym Discounts to help keep our team members up-to-date with the latest technology.
We prioritize the health and safety of our employees, providing private medical and life insurance coverage, as well as free eye tests and contributions towards glasses. Our team members can also stay ahead of the curve with incentivized certifications and accreditations, including AWS, Microsoft, Oracle, and Red Hat.
Our employee-designed Profit Share scheme divides a portion of our company's profits each quarter among all full-time employees. We are dedicated to helping our employees reach their full potential, offering Pathways Career Development Quarterly, a program designed to support professional growth."
Wired to Deliver
Every decision we make is governed by six core values. They are simply stated, non-negotiable and ever present.
Honesty and Integrity
Award-Winning Employee Focus
- Great Place to Work®
- Great Place to Work® Workplace UK (2019-2022)
- Great Place to Work® #1 Mid-size India (2022)
- Great Place to Work® Europe (2022)
- Best Workplaces for Women award, Ireland & UK (2022)
News & Insights
Blog: May 25, 2023
Tech, Tools and Talent – Developers Survey 2023
What is the Developers Survey? Modernising, innovating, and accelerating business transformation using technology is at the heart of what Version 1 does. Our software development teams are central to...
News: February 23, 2023
Version 1 is Ireland’s #1 Best Large Workplace™
Everyone here at Version 1 is delighted to share the news that we have been named Ireland’s #1 Best Large Workplace™ for 2023. Before jumping into our thoughts on receiving this phenomenal recognition,...