Version 1 Newcastle upon Tyne
Databricks and Scala Engineer geospatial
Department: Digital Development & Architecture
- 6th Best Large Workplace in the UK
- Best place to work in Ireland #GPTW2022
- UK & Ireland’s premier Oracle partner
- Market leader in Oracle ERP and HCM Applications
- Consulting, implementation and support services
- 3000 strong,€255m/ £220m revenue business
- ERP Partner of the Year
- Won 7 Gold awards out of 7 nominations at this last year's virtually held OUG Partner awards.
We pledge "to prove IT can make a real difference to our customer's businesses". We work hard to ensure we understand what our customers need from their technology solutions and then we deliver.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced developer of large-scale data solutions. You will join a team delivering a transformative cloud hosted data platform for a key Version 1 customer.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record as a senior/self-starting data engineer in implementing data ingestion and transformation pipelines for large scale organisations. We are seeking someone with deep technical skills in a variety of technologies, specifically SPARK performance\tuning\optimisation and Databricks, to play an important role in developing and delivering early proofs of concept and production implementation.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Designing and implementing highly performant data ingestion & transformation pipelines from multiple sources using Databricks and Spark/Scala
- Streaming and Batch processes in Databricks
- Providing technical guidance for complex geospatial problems and spark dataframes
- Developing scalable and re-usable frameworks for ingestion and transformation of large data sets
- Data quality system and process design and implementation.
- Integrating the end to end data pipeline to take data from source systems to target data repositories ensuring the quality and consistency of data is maintained at all times
- Working with other members of the project team to support delivery of additional project components (Reporting tools, API interfaces, Search)
- Evaluating the performance and applicability of multiple tools against customer requirements
- Working within an Agile delivery / DevOps methodology to deliver proof of concept and production implementation in iterative sprints.
- SPARK performance\tuning\optimisation
- Direct experience of building data piplines using Azure Data Factory and Databricks Spark using Scala
- Fluent in Scala, Python, Java
- Experience working with structured and unstructured data including imaging & geospatial data.
- Experience of working with relational databases: (SQL Server, PostgreSQL)
- Quarterly performance-related profit share
- Certified Great Place to Work for 10 years in a row
- Career Progression (496 CPD Promotions in last 12 months)
- Generous Holiday Allowance
- Employee Discount Scheme - available online and in a wide range of stores
- Flexible and Remote working Options
- Lunchtime activities including but not limited to fitness, yoga, financial advice and wellbeing
- Private Healthcare Cover
- Offer incentives for accreditations and educational assistance for courses relevant to your role
- Wide range of reward schemes including:
- Version 1 Excellence Awards (annual)
- Fostering several Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging schemes
- And many more exciting benefits… drop us a note to find out more
This is an opportunity to join one of the fastest-growing Microsoft Consultancies in Ireland & the UK.
Wired to Deliver
Every decision we make is governed by six core values. They are simply stated, non-negotiable and ever present.
Honesty and Integrity
Award-Winning Employee Focus
- Great Place to Work®
- Great Place to Work® Workplace UK (2019-2022)
- Great Place to Work® #1 Mid-size India (2022)
- Great Place to Work® Europe (2022)
- Best Workplaces for Women award, Ireland & UK (2022)
News & Insights
Blog: May 25, 2023
Tech, Tools and Talent – Developers Survey 2023
What is the Developers Survey? Modernising, innovating, and accelerating business transformation using technology is at the heart of what Version 1 does. Our software development teams are central to...
News: February 23, 2023
Version 1 is Ireland’s #1 Best Large Workplace™
Everyone here at Version 1 is delighted to share the news that we have been named Ireland’s #1 Best Large Workplace™ for 2023. Before jumping into our thoughts on receiving this phenomenal recognition,...