Version 1 Remote, United Kingdom
User Centred Design Consultant
Department: Digital Development & Architecture
Version 1 is a consultancy that has celebrated over 27 years in the IT industry. We focus on our core values to drive our growth and are trusted by global brands to deliver digital-first IT solutions to accelerate their success.
Version 1 is a Microsoft Partner, AWS Premier Consulting Partner, Snowflake Partner, OutSystems Partner and Oracle Partner. We’re also an award-winning employer and employees are at the heart of Version 1.
A few of our awards are Top 10 in Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Awards 2023, Innovation Partner of the Year at the 2023 Oracle EMEA Partner Awards, Top 5 UK Best Workplace in Tech 2023 by Great Place To Work UK and Best Workplace™ for Women UK 2022 By Great Place to Work®.
We are looking to recruit an adaptable User Centred Design Consultant who can work effectively in multidisciplinary, agile teams to deliver excellent results for Version 1’s customers in the public and private sector.
You will be experienced in working with users and stakeholders to determine the best way to design products and services, considering both the end-to-end journey and individual design elements. Your portfolio will demonstrate your ability to understand users and design to meet their needs, work to relevant design standards and communicate your design decisions effectively.
Design thinking and evidence-based design.
- You have a strong understanding of design thinking. You can apply frameworks and approaches as appropriate to the circumstances of a project.
- You take an evidence-based approach to design. You seek to test your assumptions to ensure that your designs are the simplest feasible approach to solving problems for users.
Focus on users and their needs.
- You can undertake basic user research activity as appropriate to your design work. You can collaborate with user researchers to understand your users and their needs and to test your designs to ensure usability and accessibility.
- You can design to meet a wide range of user needs, explain design decisions in relation to user needs and explain the constraints on your designs.
Concepts and prototyping.
- You can create and iterate a variety of different prototypes, selecting the appropriate level of fidelity and tools for the task.
- You can appropriately evaluate concepts and prototypes and explain them to stakeholders and team members.
- You can select, apply and adapt appropriate design patterns, and participate in wider design community discussion and activities.
Experience of accessible/ inclusive design.
- You understand the key principles and considerations for accessible/inclusive design and can apply these appropriately in your designs.
- You can evaluate your designs in relation to appropriate accessibility standards.
Knowledge and experience of design standards.
- You understand common design standards and can demonstrate how your designs comply with the appropriate standards for the sector or project.
- You are aware of the design standards that apply to public sector projects in the UK and the GDS assessment processes.
- You have experience of communicating your design process and decisions effectively to gain the confidence of internal colleagues and customers.
- You can appropriately manage the stakeholders you encounter within your work, and know how to escalate issues and when to seek support in unblocking your design work.
Agile working in multidisciplinary teams.
- You understand user-centred design practices and know how to align your work to agile workflows across all stages of the development lifecycle.
- You can work in an open, iterative and collaborative way in a multidisciplinary team.
At Version 1, we believe in providing our employees with a comprehensive benefits package that prioritizes their well-being, professional growth, and financial stability.
One of our standout advantages is the ability to work remote or with a hybrid schedule along with business travel, allowing our employees to strike a balance between work and life. We also offer a range of tech-related benefits, including an innovative Tech Scheme, Octopus Car Lease, and MyGym Discounts to help keep our team members up-to-date with the latest technology.
We prioritize the health and safety of our employees, providing private medical and life insurance coverage, as well as free eye tests and contributions towards glasses. Our team members can also stay ahead of the curve with incentivized certifications and accreditations, including AWS, Microsoft, Oracle, and Red Hat.
Our employee-designed Profit Share scheme divides a portion of our company's profits each quarter among all full-time employees. We are dedicated to helping our employees reach their full potential, offering Pathways Career Development Quarterly, a program designed to support professional growth.
Wired to Deliver
Every decision we make is governed by six core values. They are simply stated, non-negotiable and ever present.
Honesty and Integrity
News & Insights
News: October 18, 2023
Read time: 4 mins We have announced plans for a new technology hub in Birmingham city centre, creating 500 new jobs and placing it closer to our growing West Midlands client base. We already have a significant...
Blog: July 13, 2023
Read time: 3 mins The definition of Gen Z isn’t clear-cut but most researchers now typically use the mid-1990s to mid-2000s as starting birth years for Gen Z. To that end the Pew Research Centre...