#StartsWithAName - Sign the Charter
Help SWAN Take Flight
Introduction to the SWAN Charter
We the signatories (cygnet-ories!) of the #StartsWithAName Charter recognise the role of a person’s name as a unique expression of identity that is to be respected, valued, explored and celebrated within an inclusive society.
We the signatories of the #StartsWithAName Charter, therefore, choose to stand and be recognised by committing to said charter.
We, signatories of the #StartsWithAName Charter affirm:
“All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights” and the right to be treated with dignity extends to being called by one’s given name.
And in so doing Pledge to:
- Learn to say each other’s given names properly, even when it pushes us outside of our cultural norms and comfort zones.
- Positively encourage and respect each other’s right to correct pronunciation of a given or chosen name.
- Employ our virtual “diversity lens” to view our names as a key defining constituent of culture definition and expression.
- Take every opportunity available to make it easy for others to say our names properly.
- Actively seek to promote the adoption of the Charter and behaviours across staff and other organisations.